Friday, January 11, 2008

Build a Bridge and Get Over It


Winter has set in, and my "little" project has taken a bit more time than I anticipated. That's how it goes with do-it-yourself projects. Take the anticipated completion time and multiply by four. Works every time.
Over Thanksgiving, I was fortunate enough to benefit from my next-door neighbors' stir crazy houseguest, who was more than eager to get out of the house and give me a hand with the ramp to my new dock. Since he is an engineer by trade, it was helpful to have his expertise and attention to details. We finished the ramp, and it looks a bit like the Cooper River Bridge, don't you think?
The folks at Alumadock continue to be helpful as well, and I have their phone number on speed dial.
Right after New Year's, I attempted to install the roof. I picked a windy day, which was unfortunate, as the firt thing that happened was the wind picked up a large section of the roof and deposited it into the lake. Once I fished it out, I dropped a piece of my neighbor's drill into the dink. Fished that out. Dropped my fishing tool; caught it just before it went under. Decided that was enough fishing, and called in professionals to install the roof. Great wisdom comes from experience.
Stay tuned. The end is near.
Visit my website, Lake Wylie Waterfront real estate, for property searches, helpful information for waterfront residents, Lake Wylie links and community information.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love the way these docks look! I've been thinking about building docks in Edmonton it sounds like a fun project.